Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Make Orange Cream and Lavender Chamomile Linen / Pillow Spray

A friend sent me a note recently wondering if I had a pillow spray to help her turn off her mind-chatter at night so that she could fall asleep more easily. I could relate, having the same problem at times when my brain just won't shut off despite the fact that the rest of me is so tired!

So I looked up essential oils that are useful for sleep, for decreasing tension, and for quieting the mind. It turns out that there is a lot of overlap - many oils that are good at one of those things are also good at the others. Then I went looking for a recipe.

There are two types of recipes for mixing oils in water. The first uses a silicone to mix the two. Great, but not something that we commonly have in our homes. The second uses some sort of alcohol-type product to help the two mix. This doesn't mix the oil and water for as long a period of time, meaning that they eventually separate, but it is long enough to use it successfully as a spray and has the added benefit of not needing a preservative. I based my recipe on one I found at .... that uses witch hazel instead of Vodka (not having that on hand...) and converted it to the measurements with which I am most familiar.

Keep in mind that most essential oil experts (I am not one) will tell you that essential oils will start to break down when mixed with other things, lessening the therapeutical properties, so you still probably don't want to mix a year's worth all at once. I kept the recipe small enough to fit in a 4 oz (1/2 cup) spray bottle with a little room to spare.



Orange Cream Linen Spray
1/3 cup water (distilled)
½ tsp witch hazel or rubbing alcohol or vodka
40 drops vanilla essential oil
20 drops orange essential oil

Mix ingredients in spray bottle. Shake well before use.

Lavender Chamomille Pillow Spray
1/3 cup water (distilled or pre-boiled)
1/2 tsp witch hazel or rubbing alcohol or vodka
40 drops lavender
20 drops chamomile

Other suggested oils: Valerian, lavender, vanilla, chamomile, frankincense, orange, ylang ylang

No comments:

Post a Comment